Another path to learning and communication for children on the autism spectrum By Betsey King Brunk.
Provides an overview of music therapy as it applies to cognitive, communication, and social goals for children with autism. Each chapter contains practical ideas for using music in the home, classroom, or therapy setting.
Fourteen original songs and visual aids are included. Guidelines for choosing and adapting effective music strategies are given.
Helpful sections include:
- Music Therapy Is
- A Qualified Music Therapist
- The Music in Music Therapy
- To Assist or Motivate
- Achieving Non-Musical Goals
- Music Captivates and Maintains Attention
- Music Structures Time
- Music Provides a Safe Place to Practice Social Skills
- Music Lets Children Control Their Environment
- Music Can Create or Emphasize a Routine